Monday, January 23, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce


I was walking through the pasta sauce section at the grocery store and a jar of butternut squash sauce caught my eye. I knew I had some squash at home so I thought I would try my own version. Super simple and delicious and I love the colour.


Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

1 large butternut squash
1 Tbsp of olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
2 orange bell peppers, diced
1 small can of tomato paste
1 1/2 cups of soy milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Firstly roast the butternut squash buy cutting it into quarters lengthwise. Take out the seeds and place the quarters on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until tender.

In a pan heat the olive oil and cook the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and red pepper and cook for another 4 - 5 minutes until the peppers are tender.

In a blender add all of the ingredients including the butternut squash flesh. Blend until smooth. Return to the pan to heat and add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with pasta and roasted tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment