Monday, November 21, 2011

Vegan Falafel


For my November Secret Recipe Club I was assigned the blog Pepper & Sherry. Juls' blog is full of these awesome Polaroid-like photo's of all her food. And each recipe is laid out so nicely making sure you know not only what ingredients you need but also what equipment you will use as well.

If you are a meat lover than Juls' blog is for you. Although there were lots of yummy vegetarian dishes to try as well. I decided on this falafel recipe because I had never made it before and it sounded really comforting. I followed the recipe pretty much to a t except that I made the mixture in a blender and not a food processor so I had to add some water to facilitate the blending process. My mixture was probably a bit softer than Juls so instead of shaping the fafafel into patties I just scooped it straight out of the bowl with an ice cream scoop then flattened them in the pan.

 If you have never made home made falafel I hight recommend it. Absolutely delicious. I served mine with some crisped up pita, baba ganoush, tabbouleh, and a tomato & artichoke salad.


Falafel
14 oz can of chickpeas, drained
3 smashed garlic cloves
1 roughly chopped red onion
3 tablespoons gram or plain flour (gram flour is a gluten free chickpea flour)
tablespoon parsley
1 teaspoon hot chilli flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water (If using a blender)
METHOD:
  1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and process to your desired consistency.
  2. Heat up about 2 tablespoons of oil in your frying pan. 
  3. When the pan is hot, scoop out small patties using an ice cream scoop. Place into pan and using the back of a spoon flatten out slightly. 
  4. Cook the patties for about 3 minutes on either side.


13 comments:

  1. Yum! I saw this and had to head over immediately because I chose falafels for my reveal as well, though mine aren't vegan. Your do look absolutely delicious though. I love the addition of the turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! First time I've ever heard of falafel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good to me! I'm pretty sure I've never tried falafel before

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love falafel but have yet attempted to make it myself. I think you've given me the inspiration! You've got a great blog...and I love the name! Now heading over to your vanilla cupcakes! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two falafel recipes in one reveal! Coincident? I don't think so---b/c falafel is awesome!!!! Thanks for this take!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You almost make a carnivorous girl want to go vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow these look great! I've never made falafel, but I sure do like to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious! i can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for making such a lovely post about my blog and my recipe! Making this was my first time making falafel "properly" as well and it has been made many times since. Your photos are fantastic and your blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. “If you're reading this...
    Congratulations, you're alive. and happy new year 2016
    If that's not something to smile about,
    then I don't know what is.”
    happy new year 2016
    Memorable moment r celebrated together,
    U r my best friend for now & forever,
    Make me Miss U even more this New Year,
    Hope this happy new year 2016 bring Happiness for you Dear.
    happy diwali
    My wishes for you, Great start for Jan, Love for Feb, Peace for march, No worries for April, Fun for May, Joy for June to Nov, Happiness for Dec, Have a lucky and wonderful happy new year 2016.
    New Year SMS
    A mother had a slender, small
    body, but a large heart – a heart so
    large that everybody’s grief and
    everybody’s joy found welcome in
    it, and hospitable accommodation.
    Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ReplyDelete