Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Vegan Grapefruit & Olive Oil Cake



I really love olive oil cakes. I find they are always moist and have a really lovely flavour. Usually I see them paired with lemon or orange but I have been on a huge grapefruit kick this winter so I thought I would give the combination a try. I used pink grapefruits but once they cooked up they looked just like oranges! The idea for this recipe came from The Gluttonous Vegan blog.




Vegan Grapefruit & Olive Oil Cake
Adapted from The Gluttonous Vegan


3 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup soy milk
1 tsp grated pink grapefruit zest
1/2 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice
1 thin skinned pink grapefruit, sliced very thin for the top (Optional)

Prepare a 9 inch cake pan with some oil and flour.

In a large bowl mix dry ingredients, including the sugar, together. Add the olive oil and soy milk to the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the grapefruit juice and zest. Mix thoroughly and pour batter into prepare cake pan.

Top the cake with the thinly cut grapefruit slices and bake in a 350 degree oven for a least 30 minutes. (Mine was closer to 40). Let cool then slice and enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. I love citrus-y cakes! this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great but I did modify it. I added a full cup of grapefruit juice,orange zest instead of grapefruit, some vanilla and about a tbsp of honey and used plain unsweetened almond milk instead of soy milk. I baked it in a bundt pan and glazed it. Holy cats, its delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The honey kind of negates the whole "vegan" thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this with a white grapefruit and gluten free flour and it turned out really dense, dry and bland - disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Works for me every time. You can see the grapefruit reacting with the baking agents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Turned out great. Made with Ruby Red grapefruit. Peeled (after zesting) and blended whole grapefruit then cooked to reduce the juice. Used 3/4 Cup, will try 1 cup next time. Reduced the milk. Used 1/2 the sugar. Added the slices to the top - great addition.
    Sweetened the left over juice and further reduced to make a glaze. Added splash (cap full) of bourbon. Sprinkled top with a little zest after glazing.

    ReplyDelete