Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Yeast Free Vegan Cinnamon Buns


These bad boys are really YUMMY. And super simple. I think I might be in trouble because they took so little time to whip up and were awesome. Normally I make a biscuit dough base cinnamon bun that comes from Get it Ripe. They are delicious but the dough can be a bit finicky.

I came across this recipe over at this lovely blog called Smith & Ratliff (Go check them out- the photo's are stunning). It was pretty easy to turn them into vegan cinnamon buns.


They rolled out beautifully and cooked up really well. Soft and pillowy with lots of cinnamon sugar flavour. (Yikes - I am in trouble!).


Vegan Cinnamon Buns
Adapted from Smith & Ratliff

For the dough:
2 3⁄4 c. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
3⁄4 tsp. salt
1 1⁄4 c. "buttermilk" (Mix 1 Tbsp vinegar with just less than 1 1/4 cup of soy milk. Let sit for 5 minutes)
6 tbsp. melted vegan margarine

For the filling:
2 tbsp. melted vegan margarine
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. cinnamon

For the glaze (Optional)
2 tbsp. water
3/4 to 1 c. powdered sugar

First, make your "buttermilk". Measure 1 Tbsp of white or apple cider vinegar into a 2 cup measuring cup. Fill the measuring cup to 1 1/4 cups with soy milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Mix all of dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then add in the melted margarine and the "buttermilk".

Kneading it for a few minutes, it should become a bit smooth and more elastic than wet. If it still seems wet, go ahead and add some more flour.

Once it’s a bit neater, roll it out into a roughly 12″ x 9″ rectangle, about a 1/2″ thick. It doesn’t need to be perfect. After that, top the dough rectangle with melted margarine and your mixture of cinnamon and sugar and roll it up.

Cut the roll into 8 pieces. (Smith and Ratliff had a great tip which was to use some dental floss to cut the rolls. Just wrap it around the roll and pull the two ends across and it will cut the rolls very nice and neatly.)

Put your perfectly-cut rolls in a greased baking pan and bake at 425 degrees for about 15 - 17 minutes.

While they’re in the oven, you can mix your glaze with however much powdered sugar you want, thinned with just a bit of water. Pour it over the rolls while they’re fresh out of the oven, so it gives them a nice caramelized layer and absorbs into the roll. (I didn't use the glaze and the rolls were still delicious, up to you if you want!)

24 comments:

  1. Easy cinnamon rolls where you don't have to wait for the dough to rise for hours? I'm totally in. These look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found these on pinterest and made them that weekend. They were fantastic, even on my first attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can coconut milk substitute the soy milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it but I think it should work. If you try it let me know how it goes.

      Delete
    2. Tried it with coconut milk, worked out great! I made 2 batches, and in the second one I added some brown sugar and it made them extra yummy :)

      -Annie

      Delete
  4. I made these and they are much better than canned. The bread is hearty. I serve them as sides with chili. Have you ever had chili and cinnamon rolls together? Amazing combination. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked them! I have never tried cinnamon buns and chili together but I could totally see why it would be tasty. I will have to give it a try next time!

      Delete
  5. Did anyone have trouble with the dough being sticky and unable to roll them into rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now this didn´t go as planned. The dough was way too sticky, so I had to add a lot more flour to be able to roll it out. After baking it was quite hard, more like bread. The cinnamon was barely noticeable in the taste, its more like small sweet mini breads, not yummy cinnamon rolls :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, my dough needed a lot more flour to get to the right consistency. I added probably another cup or so, although I didn't measure it just kept adding. Was the melted margarine supposed to be completely melted? And was it supposed to have had cooled down? Maybe that's why mine went wrong...

    All that aside, they are delicious! I did add in extra sugar throughout the recipe though. I have a bad sweet-tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look fantastic! one question though, instead of using the "buttermilk" can i just use milk (not soy) or would it throw off the consistency?
    note: i realize that by not using soy milk these become vegetarian cinnamon buns and not vegan. but i'm in between both (will have milk products, no eggs, meat or sea food)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will likely throw off the consistency as the "buttermilk" has a thicker texture. You can do the same thing with regular milk just add the Tbps of vinegar to regular milk instead.

      Delete
  9. I know some people have been complaining that when they make these that the dough is too soft and they end up having to add a lot of flour. I am not sure what the problem is as these always roll out really nicely for me. I haven't made these yet in the summer and maybe the humidity is having an effect for those of you who are having problems. Next time I make them I will triple check the measurements and update the post if there is a mistake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made these roles that literally only take a few minutes to put together before they put into the oven. I did have to add about a Thirf or more cup of flour to my dough before I could handle it

      Delete
  10. I found I needed to add a bit more flour too, and that the dough had tiny lumps in even after quite a bit of kneading - not sure if this was because it lumped up when I added the marg? Also found I needed more filling, but that might just be my sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these today and they were delicious! I also had a slight issue of the batter being too sticky, and my cinnamon buns were lumpy and not picturesque like yours. But I also used almond milk instead of soy, so maybe that had an effect? Anyway, I just added a little more flour and despite not being perfect circles like yours, they still tasted awesome. Will definitely be trying these again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are amazing!! Thank you for the recipe. I also had to add a bit of flour which was no big deal. I also used almond milk. When my 10 yr old picky eater likes something, u know it has to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Made these "Coconut cinnamon rolls" - I can't find vegan margarine at my grocery store so I used coconut oil instead. Also added some toasted coconut to the cinnamon-sugar mix, and used 1/2c almond milk and the rest coconut milk. Turned out great! These aren't your classic, sticky, overly-sweet gooey buns - they're more of a subdued, bread-like bun (which I knew to expect based on the photos!) Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. was craving some kind of sweet bread. I decided to finally try these I did not make them Vegan. So easy an quick. In oven now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. vinegar is fermented and has yeast in it

    ReplyDelete
  16. “If you're reading this...
    Congratulations, you're alive. and happy new year 2016
    If that's not something to smile about,
    then I don't know what is.”
    happy new year 2016
    Memorable moment r celebrated together,
    U r my best friend for now & forever,
    Make me Miss U even more this New Year,
    Hope this happy new year 2016 bring Happiness for you Dear.
    happy diwali
    My wishes for you, Great start for Jan, Love for Feb, Peace for march, No worries for April, Fun for May, Joy for June to Nov, Happiness for Dec, Have a lucky and wonderful happy new year 2016.
    New Year SMS
    A mother had a slender, small
    body, but a large heart – a heart so
    large that everybody’s grief and
    everybody’s joy found welcome in
    it, and hospitable accommodation.
    Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ReplyDelete
  17. I added finely chopped apples (skin on) to mine and used almond milk instead of soy (unfortunately I had no vinegar in the house - sorry). I brushed them with a bit of maple syrup (its a Canadian thing) before putting them in the oven. I did use a bit of extra flour as the dough was quite sticky. They still turned out fantastic! Thank you for sharing! :) Julia

    ReplyDelete