Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vegan Coconut Lemon Bundt Cake


Firstly just a note to say sorry for having been an absent blogger. P and I were back in our home town over the holidays for a very special event...Our Wedding! Anyway I thought I would have more time to blog but it was so busy so here is a belated post. At some point I will post pictures of the day but I will say it was so AWESOME.

Anyway back to regularly scheduled programming:

Our office holiday party is always a pot-luck (actually most celebrations at work are pot-luck style - which I love). I had been feeling like gingerbread so I thought I would try making some gingerbread cupcakes. But they failed miserably and it was to late in the afternoon to go shopping for new ingredients. I did have a few fresh lemons and some shredded coconut in the freezer though so I whipped up this bundt cake from Epicurean Vegan. It was really yummy (Although mine did not come out of the bundt pan). I served with a simple lemon glaze. Not very wintry I'll admit but tasty indeed.




Vegan Coconut Lemon Bundt Cake
From Epicurean Vegan

1-1/2 C granulated sugar
2/3 C canola oil
1 (14-oz) can coconut milk
1/4 C soy milk
1/4 C lemon juice
3 Tbs lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1-1/2 C shredded unsweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8 or 10″ Bundt pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar, oil, coconut milk, soy milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Stir to combine.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into the wet ingredients in batches, mixing well after each addition. Stir to combine, then stir in the coconut.

Pour batter into the Bundt pan, Bake 1 hour or until a knife inserted through the cake comes out clean.

Lemon Glaze

2 cups confectioner's sugar
3 - 4 Tbsp lemon juice
Lemon zest from one lemon

Mix all ingredients and pour over cooled cake.

8 comments:

  1. Yum. Coconut and lemon is a great flavor combination! I haven't made a lemon cake in forever, I'll have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Ruby - If you are feeling blue on day make this and you will be smiling in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baking this right now! Can't wait till it's out of the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the cake turned out well!

      Delete
    2. Has anyone replaced the canola oil with vegan butter?

      Delete
  4. Making this for Easter! Looks yummy. Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a vegetarian who had to go dairy and egg free for breastfeeding. Vegan or not this is one of the best cakes I have ever tasted!! So lovely and moist - going to make it again on a regular basis. We didn't have a bundt pan so it took a lot longer to cook but the edges came out deliciously crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “If you're reading this...
    Congratulations, you're alive. and happy new year 2016
    If that's not something to smile about,
    then I don't know what is.”
    happy new year 2016
    Memorable moment r celebrated together,
    U r my best friend for now & forever,
    Make me Miss U even more this New Year,
    Hope this happy new year 2016 bring Happiness for you Dear.
    happy diwali
    My wishes for you, Great start for Jan, Love for Feb, Peace for march, No worries for April, Fun for May, Joy for June to Nov, Happiness for Dec, Have a lucky and wonderful happy new year 2016.
    New Year SMS
    A mother had a slender, small
    body, but a large heart – a heart so
    large that everybody’s grief and
    everybody’s joy found welcome in
    it, and hospitable accommodation.
    Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ReplyDelete