Monday, April 23, 2012

Vegan Spicy Chocolate Pudding & Iced Chai Tea Latte


This is my Secret Recipe Club post for April. For those of you who don't know the Secret Recipe Club is this great group of bloggers that each month get assigned another food blog from which they must try a recipe and blog about it on reveal day. Anyway it's a lot of fun and this month was no different.


I was assigned the lovely Cooking in Stilettos (Which I have to say is one of my favourite blog names of all time). Aly is super passionate about food and has many awesome looking recipes to try. In fact I couldn't decide this month so I made two recipes from her blog.



I choose two somewhat spicy but cooling recipes both of which turned out great. They were super easy to vegan-ize by just replacing the regular milk with non dairy. Thank Aly for the yummy-ness with your Mexican Chocolate Pudding and Iced Chai Latte.


Vegan Spicy Chocolate Pudding
Via Cooking in Stilettos

1/2 cup organic sugar
1 Tbsp molasses
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups non dairy milk
2 Tbsp vegan margarine
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions
Whisk together sugar, molasses, cocoa, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and milk in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking often, then boil, whisking, 1 minute.

Remove from heat and whisk in butter, vanilla and cayenne pepper.

Pour into serving dishes and cover the surface of the pudding with cling film to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours. If you want garnish with some grated dark chocolate and orange peel. Enjoy!



Vegan Iced Chai Tea Latte
Via Cooking in Stilettos

1/4 cup of loose tea or 4 tea bags
2 1/2 cups of water
1 tsp. black peppercorns
3 green whole cardamom pods
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
5 whole star anise
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cups non dairy milk
2 tbsp. turbinado sugar

Directions:
In a mortar and pestle crush the peppercorns and cardamom pods.

Over medium heat, add water to a medium saucepan and add crushed cardamom pods, peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise, and ginger. Bring to a boil for one minute and then add the tea. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir in the milk and return to a simmer. Sweeten with sugar to taste and remove from heat.

Cool chai to room temperature. Once it is cool, pour the liquid through a fine mesh strainer into a pitcher. Discard the tea and spices and refrigerate chai.

To serve, fill glasses with ice and pour the chai over the ice.


32 comments:

  1. Ooh, both of those look super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all your veganized recipes, I'm a fairly new vegetarian and find it's great that there's so many options!

      Delete
    2. Oh Carrie - What a nice thing to say. There are so many options out there!

      Delete
  2. These look great! Nice to see some more vegans on SRC :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were quite a few vegan posts this month which is awesome.

      Delete
  3. That pudding you have there looks fantastic! I'm not vegan, but I think I'd make it as you have it written, it looks just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim I suggest you make as is. I doubt you could tell this pudding was vegan it is really yummy!

      Delete
  4. the pudding looks fantastic...but I can't stop staring at those teacups! How absolutely beautiful! Great recipes picks too :) Go Group C!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Those teacups are my grandma's and I totally treasure them. Thanks for noticing.

      Delete
  5. 2 recipes~You outdid yourself! They both look beautiful and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last month I made a chai tea from another SRC member and it was delicious. I'm definitely going to pin the pudding recipe for later. Yum,

    Group C Rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mexican chocolate pudding is one that I make often :) Something so comforting about the chocolate, cinnamon and cayenne combo. I'm so honored that you chose TWO recipes from my blog - both of which are faves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were both really delicious but that pudding is insane!

      Delete
  8. Devon...you chose two wonderful recipes here. Love the chai latte....and the spicy chocolate pudding looks amazing. I am not familiar with Aly's blog but am intrigued to check it out. And let me say...those teacups are GORGEOUS and your photography is just stunning! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne - for sure check out Aly's blog! And thanks for the lovely comments.

      Delete
  9. The pudding looks so fantastic in the tea cups!I will need to pin the chai tea, I love the stuff, need to try making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos Devon. The teacups are stunning! Each unique and so pretty. I will have to try chai iced tea latte. I have tried the hot version but it never occurred to me to try it iced. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pictures! Both of these recipes look delicious. I love chai lattes. Great SRC picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Waow - beautiful presentation and pictures. Love the cups :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. (hand claps) wonderful photography, I came over all elegant just looking at them. Good to see a vegan pud! It's on my recipe list to try! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  15. look absolutely georgeous and perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore chai. In fact, I think I am going to make some now. Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both look lovely but I especially love the chocolate pudding! I am a huge fan of Mexican chocolate combinations, but the fact that this one is vegan means I can proudly serve it to my dairy-free sister in law. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comments.Try it for your sister in law. So easy to make.

      Delete
  18. These look so good! And the Secret Recipe Club sounds intriguing. :o

    www.eyeseefaeries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaimee - I will check out your blog. I must say Secret Recipe Club is awesome - if you are interested get yourself on the waiting list. It's a lot of fun!

      Delete
  19. Both of these recipes look great. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  20. “If you're reading this...
    Congratulations, you're alive. and happy new year 2016
    If that's not something to smile about,
    then I don't know what is.”
    happy new year 2016
    Memorable moment r celebrated together,
    U r my best friend for now & forever,
    Make me Miss U even more this New Year,
    Hope this happy new year 2016 bring Happiness for you Dear.
    happy diwali
    My wishes for you, Great start for Jan, Love for Feb, Peace for march, No worries for April, Fun for May, Joy for June to Nov, Happiness for Dec, Have a lucky and wonderful happy new year 2016.
    New Year SMS
    A mother had a slender, small
    body, but a large heart – a heart so
    large that everybody’s grief and
    everybody’s joy found welcome in
    it, and hospitable accommodation.
    Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ==>> Happy New Year 2016

    ReplyDelete