Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pickled Beet and Grapefruit Salad

I know another stacked salad but look at how pretty! Actually the inspiration came from a picnic in the park - P and I picked up some snacky stuff to eat in the park including grapefruit slices and a beet salad. Then I thought these would go really nice together so here's what I created.

I will give you the recipe layer by layer starting at the bottom

Layer 1 - Fried Potato

Take one large potato and slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices. Steam until soften but not mushy then fry in pan with olive oil until crispy.

Layer 2 - Avocado slices

Layer 3 - Pickled beets
I tried this recipe and it turned out very nice. I cut my beets into small cubes rather than rounds as the recipe indicates. Drain before adding to salad.

Layer 4 - Fried spinach & Garlic
Take a few cups of spinach and cook over medium heat with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic. Cook until soft and wilted.

Layer 5 - Grapefruit
Peel 1 large grapefruit, segment then cut into cubes. In a small bowl add grapefruit a pinch of salt and pepper and some olive oil.

Layer 6 - Watercress (or use another type of green)

Layer 7 - Grapefruit Zest

Dressing 
2 Tbsp grapefruit juice
1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp maple syrup

To assemble salad
Place potato slices on plate and top with avocado. (This part I made wider than the rind mold rather than trying to get it to all fit). Place ring mold on top of avocado and place a layer of pickled beets at the bottom and pack with the back of a spoon. Follow with a layer of spinach and top with a layer of grapefruit. Pour 1 Tbsp of dressing over the salad, gently remove ring mold and top with greens and grapefruit zest.

1 comment:

  1. You've just blown my mind. So gorgeous, Will make this week.

    ReplyDelete