Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches with Basil

Normally I am pretty humble about the food I make but let me tell you, these ice cream sandwiches were awesome. I wanted to use some fresh basil growing on my balcony so I added it to chocolate chip cookie batter. The basil flavour was pretty mild though so next time I would also mix some fresh basil into the ice cream.


Basil Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup Earth Balance, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 "eggs" using egg replacer
1/4 soy milk
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned

In a medium bowl mix dry ingredients.

In a large bowl mix together butter and sugar. Then add egg replacer, soy milk and vanilla.

Fold dry ingredients into wet to form dough. Mix in chocolate chips and basil.

Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper and roll dough into walnut sized balls. Place on cookie sheets one inch apart and bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on pan before transferring to a wire rack.

To Assemble
Let cookies cool completely. Take ice cream out of fridge (I used coconut and chocolate dairy free sorbet) and let soften for 5 - 10 minutes. Here is where I would add some more fresh basil.

Take a cookie and scoop some ice cream onto it. Top with another cookie and squish the sandwich together slightly. Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Repeat using all cookies. Put cookie sheet into freezer for an hour or two until cookies and ice cream are frozen again. Then serve or transfer to an air tight container to store them.

1. Solo Fruit Sorbet 2. Cookie batter 3. Cooled cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment