Saturday, October 15, 2011

Salmon Chowder



I love the fall. I can start wearing sweaters and scarfs and layering outfits. Plus it means yummy soups and stews. My dad was visiting us with his new lady friend and I decided I would make something with salmon. But the fish monger also had some really beautiful scallops and mussels. I couldn't choose between them so I made this chowder with all three!



Salmon Chowder

Olive oil
1 large leek, sliced into rounds
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 carrots, chopped
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
2 - 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
Broth
2 ears of corn, kernels removed with knife
1 can of coconut milk
1 fillet of salmon, skin removed, cut into 1 inch cubes

8 medium scallops
10 mussels, cleaned
Fresh herbs (I used basil, thyme and oregano)

In large pot cook the onions and leeks in a little olive oil until onions are translucent. Add the garlic, carrots, cauliflower, and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add enough broth to cover the veggies by about an inch. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are cooked. You may want to add a bit more broth depending on how thick you want the chowder. Add corn kernels, coconut milk and salmon. Simmer for 3 minutes. Add scallops, mussels and fresh herbs and simmer for another 3 - 4 minutes or until all seafood is cooked. Serve piping hot with these potato biscuits.



No comments:

Post a Comment