This soup was simple and very delicious. The idea came from The Vegan Table, but I made my own version.
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/8 tsp chili flakes
2 cups veggie stock
1 15-ounce can organic pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp real maple syrup
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 cups soy milk
1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish
1 cup roasted corn, for garnish
- Heat oil medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until onion begins to soften.
- Add turmeric, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom and cayenne. Lightly toast in pan by stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, pumpkin puree, maple syrup and lime juice. Bring to a boil by raising heat, then turn down heat to obtain a gentle simmer. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from the heat. Stir in the non-dairy milk. At this point you could blend this but I didn't bother.
- Served topped with roasted corn, pumpkin seeds and some fresh ground pepper