Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake


I was staying at a friends place and she pulled out the cutest mini loaf pan. I said something along the lines of "I have to have this pan" and she replied "it's yours - as long as you promise to use it". Best day ever!!! So to keep my promise I adapted this recipe from the Half Assed Kitchen to make these absolutely delicious zucchini cakes.




Chocolate Zucchini Cake
2-1/2 cups fresh zucchini, grated, peeled
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup canola oil
2 3/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of dark chocolate cut into chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, combine zucchini, bananas, oil and vanilla. Stir well. In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients except chocolate chips. Add wet ingredients to dry, stir thoroughly and fold in chocolate chips.

I was worried that the loafs would stick so I cut rectangles of parchment paper and placed them into the mini loaf tin with enough overhang to wrap the loafs afterwards.

Bake mini loafs for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes our clean.



5 comments:

  1. YAY!!! I wish you could mail me one, they are the cutest zucchini loaves I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for pan. I had so much fun making these. Next time you are in town give me some warning and I will make you a batch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea and these are great photos. I always have issues getting the loafs out of pans, even when oiled. I will have to try this way. I'm also happy to run across the recipe. I am baking for a wedding and wanted to do this for part of it. Wooo hooo.

    My blog is at www.onceuponatomato.com

    Thanks

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Liz - Thanks so much! It really is an easy way to get them out of the pan and they look really cute if you wrap them up after. Good luck with the wedding baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are absolutely adorable. Thank you for trying the recipe from Half Assed Kitchen!

    ReplyDelete